Friday, July 24, 2009

Cup of coffee and a paper


Enough said. A strong morning tradition, enjoyed by many for at least the last 3 generations. But the talk is sounding more true. News print subscriptions are reaching new lows. Some say it's because of 24 hr. TV news stations, networking sites and online subscriptions. I, myself, have reduced my morning paper subscription to just Weds. and Sun. I read the paper online, in an approach to take a greener way of life and to also curb the cost of the Internet air card I use everyday. No WiFi where i work.

My true opinion is that today, maybe people aren't as interested in the full story. The one great thing about the paper is it gives you a tangible and complete copy of the story. One you can go back to and read. I can recall my Grandfather cutting out articles and hanging them on his fridge as reminders or sharing them with my mother. It was a conversation piece in a shoe shine chair or a method of escape on a busy bus. No matter what it was used as, the paper was there to enjoy.

These days, our lives are ruled by constant immediate gratification. We can get news as it happens, online, with news updates sent to our cellular phones. This is great, if you away from a TV, and your favorite sports team is playing, but do we really need to get immediate updates about gossip, fashion and celebrities? Before TVs, the news paper was the CNBC of it's time. News printers spent long, hard days gathering and writing the events, setting the type and pressing the pages out as fast as they could. Remember the saying "Extra, extra, read all about it!". Now it's just mobile updates and a vibration ring on your cell phone.

But I still enjoy reading the paper ,cover to back, with a hot cup of morning coffee. Plain Dealer, Akron Beacon Journal, New York Times, I love ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment