Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Story Time

When i was in High School, there was a kid, quiet, dressed a little backdated, but a nice, well raised kid. As he grew he got in metal, which was still mainstream in the early 90's.

My senior year i was invited to try and play with this group of other kids, i tried to play drums. I got to this country house, set up my set and these two kids plug in their guitars. They start to show me what they got and they have already, the two of them, written 6 to 8 songs, all guitar ofcourse. They shred these songs complete with individual solos. They were playing well beyond their age of 16 or 17.

The funny thing about it was the other kids was viewed as a burn out troublemaker. The teachers should have found a way to channel his ability in metal guitar 101. He had ability that i hope lead to other better things.

The quiet back dated kid was even better, i thought. I couldn't believe how this kid played. He was short with little hands, but his right hand hammered out this crunch that got you wanting to jam!(Early James Hetfield)

Ofcourse i wasn't much of a drummer. They needed someone who could play those quick time measures and i was no thrash drummer. I could hang with some "sick of it all" if it was slower but they needed someone who really embraced metal drumming. My reign lasted 2 weeks.

I recently saw the little quiet kid again. He still play, he has to. Said he's a hairdresser and plays acoustic at church on Sunday. Told you he was a good kid. He's still playing in a band, DOWNTROD. He gave me a CD of the band and it's listenable. I sure their better live, live music ALWAYS is. I'll have to watch the scene mag for the next time you play out, Darrell Patrick.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Chop, When you do finally find out were he's playing let me know , sure would like to go. Rob

    ReplyDelete